Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Old Familiar Sting

Before getting out of the parked car and going into work I like to listen to one last song to get me jammed up for the day. The radio was generous to me today and gave me "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver," honestly and literally one of the greatest songs of all-time. Also one of the best music videos of all-time. These are non-disputable facts.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfwUJzYQg

I was all WOOOOOOOO
hoo hoo HOO HOO
hooooooo.

But then the radio became too generous and immediately after Primus I got Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt." This is also one of the greatest songs of all time, so naturally I had to listen to that one too. And I would never ditch Cash.


http://vimeo.com/3104201

But you know what? That is a seriously depressing song. So instead of going into work all revved and singing about cowboys and beavers, I had Johnny Cash's dying voice limping along in regretful warbled circles in my head.
What have I become,
my sweetest friend?
Everyone I know
goes away in the end.

And you could have it all,
my empire of dirt.
I will let you down.
I will make you hurt.
Yeah, awesome song. Awesome soul-crushing song.

This after my V-day post about how much I love sad songs.
Saint Cash answers your prayers and grants your wishes vindictively.

No comments:

Post a Comment