Friday, April 8, 2011

Bore Alert: Briefly, My TV Viewing Habits

I may say that I don't watch a lot of TV, but I actually do watch a lot of TV. I just don't watch any sitcoms or dramas. But then sometimes I do.

It's usually baseball, and if not baseball then football, and if not football then basketball. Not often basketball. But then sometimes often basketball.

A lot of nature docs, too. Nature and space are so mesmerizing on an HD television.

A lot more history docs. I find myself oddly compelled by urban development from centuries ago.

The only non-sports fictional-storyline programing I watch with any sort of regularity is "The Simpsons." I don't even watch "The Simpsons" that often anymore because episodes from recent seasons make me frown. If a fifteen-year-old episode that I've seen eighty-seven times comes on... yeah, I'll still watch that and probably laugh obnoxiously at the jokes I already know are coming.

I used to watch "The Daily Show" every night and Conan ("Late Night With" or otherwise) every other night. But then I got a new job, and now those time slots are reserved for working or sleeping.

I used to watch a lot of "C.S.I." But then I stopped. I don't know why.

I can't get into the routine of reserving one night of the week for a particular show. I like "30 Rock," but I don't know what time or day it comes on. Frankly, I don't even care. I've liked the three episodes of "Community" I've seen, but again, it's not a part of my personal schedule and, consequently, I won't watch it. That's fine. I don't feel like I'm missing out.

I can't get into serials, either. No "Heroes," no "Fringe," definitely no "Lost." I can't tell you why. It's not the dedication necessary to watch the whole series (although that does play a part). I know the shows are put together well. People tell me I would like them. But they don't tickle my interest bone at all. Not in the slightest.

And this is why my attempt to try out "The Borgias" is surprising (to me, anyway). I normally don't care about historical dramas. I'll probably never watch an episode of "The Tudors." But here we have a story that is a bit different than others. This one is about POPES. How many TV shows are there about popes? I'm sure there is some obscure BBC comedy from the 1980s about a pope who owns a bicycle shop in Leeds or something, but since it doesn't appear on North American television it doesn't count.

The first episode of "The Borgias" was good, but I felt compelled to fact-check every character and every detail. I kept making mental notes, and this kept distracting me from the story. This is probably why I don't watch historical dramas in the first place.

Also there was more nakedity than necessary. But no swears, so kids'll love it!

It took me a couple of days to decide whether or not I'll take in the second episode. I'll do it, but no promises for the third.

[This is why I primarily just watch sports. I don't over-think it. Did you notice how quickly I glossed over my sports-viewing habits? Did you see how complicated I made everything else?]


I could go into much greater detail about every aspect of every show I do and don't watch, but this is already the most boring combination of letters and words I've ever typed.


Irrelevant to all of the above, snag Insound's April sampler before it's no longer available. It'll be up until the end of this week, but I don't know if that means Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. I'm listening to the tracks now. It's a good one.
http://www.insound.com/promos/mixtape?from=99933

2 comments:

  1. i am glad we have a tv show to watch together! hurrah! also, i think you are partial to the borgias because we have been to italy. do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. not for the Jeremy Irons snog?

    ReplyDelete