Friday, March 11, 2011

Broadcasting the Apocalypse

The drive home last night was brutal, the worst all winter (which is saying a lot considering what hard hitting winter we've had). The snowflakes were huge and plentiful, which killed visibility. It was like driving into a forest of sparklers. The roads turned to slush. It was windy. It was late. I was tired.

I got home at 4 a.m., took a shower, popped onto the computer to make some pre-bed Internet rounds, and discovered eastern Japan was in trouble. There was the massive earthquake (8.9?! Seriously??) followed by the vicious flooding. Then there were serious aftershocks. Then more flooding. Fires. Maybe a nuclear meltdown.

It's all on CNN, CBC, BBC. Al-freakin'-Jazeera.
Youtube.
The end of the world will be televised and streamed.
It may or may not star John Cusack.

I remember when the 2004 tsunami wrecked Indonesia. It was a couple days after Christmas. I was living in Vancouver, walking home from work. There was a big fat headline on "The Province" that said "60,000 Dead" or something clearly exaggeratory like that. "The Province," you must understand, is a newspaper for people who like their news tabloid-style. Clearly they were making stuff up.

Then I got home, checked the Internet, and discovered that 60,000 was a conservative estimate.

[As an aside, what does it say about the state of print media if I always have to second-guess it? If a newspaper is the first to break news to me I always feel like I have to cross-check the information online.]

The Indonesia footage was unbelievable.
The Japanese footage is unbelievable.
These are great/awful times we are living in.

I'll go to work tomorrow. I'll think about somebody's livelihood being crushed by a sludgy wall of flaming ocean. I'll think about those tiny white vehicles driving away too slowly. Then I'll go home and eat lunch.

People died last night.
Pray for the living.


Sorry if this is depressing.
I'm going to go read a book.

Cat Power - "Cross Bones Style"




No comments:

Post a Comment