Wednesday, May 25, 2011

All Over The Map

I'm tapping away at the laptop with my right hand, checking my cell with my left hand, and watching the latest hour-old updates on CNN. I am my own weather headquarters, and I am fully prepared for tornadic Missouri weather. Except I don't live in Missouri (or even the United States, for that matter). Nonetheless, when mid-west atmosphere gets turbulent, be assured that I'm on top of it... a thousand miles away.

I used to know people who lived in Joplin. I don't anymore. Maybe I still do. I don't know, I've lost touch with so many people. But the Joplin people I knew years ago were still in school, and kids from Missouri towns tend to take off after finishing school.

-------------------------------------------

David Bazan's new album is good. It's available to stream in its entirety in a couple places so I've spent the past couple days getting familiar with it.

http://www.davidbazan.com/2011/listen-to-strange-negotiations/

I like the title track.

-------------------------------------------

Tuesday, after dropping my mom off at the airport, my wife, daughter, and I went to the Lake Effect Diner in Buffalo. We went for no other reason than it being featured in an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. The restaurant itself is in an old sleek boxcar like the ones you'd find in Grand Theft Auto IV. Despite the 50's aura, the music they were pumping closely mirrored my own music library. Modest Mouse and Shins and Wilco and Eels and etc. As for the food, I had a pulled pork sandwich, coleslaw, fries, and a root beer milkshake. All of it was delicious. If (for whatever God-awful reason) you find yourself with a couple hours to kill in Buffalo, I recommend eating a meal here.

-------------------------------------------

Speaking of Buffalo and root beer, between the airport and dinner I picked up four bottles of "Draft Root Beer" made by Natural Brew. Very good, very flavorful. I don't know if using natural ingredients makes it taste better by default, but somewhere somebody discovered that mashing together sarsaparilla, anise, licorice root, birch oil, wintergreen oil, and bourbon vanilla extract (whatever that is -- though it sounds delicious) makes a dang fine beverage.

Find a store that sells it, then buy it. Then drink it.
http://www.natural-brew.com/where_to_buy

No comments:

Post a Comment