Saturday, April 14, 2012

Sorry, Lars

I feel like I need to clarify that Metallica barb I made the other day.  I mean, I guess I don't NEED to clarify it, but I sort of WANT to.  Otherwise Lars, via Google Alerts, will hunt me down and litigate me.

My relationship with Metallica is complicated.  I'm sure it's the same way with a lot of people.  On one hand you have these classic Metallica songs, songs you crank up while driving, these primeval songs that force you, whether you like it or not, to make a metal face and bang your head.  That Metallica is dang near the best band ever.  And then on the other hand you have the past decade, these years of unaware self-parody, years of painful music, years of "IS THIS SERIOUSLY A SONG?".  Among their recent albums you may find a diamond in the rough, but you can't pop in St. Anger and expect the cover-to-cover rock'n'roll bliss of Master of Puppets.

So, yeah, Metallica has let me down recently, and sometimes that causes me to caustically lash out.  But then I'll hear "Wherever I May Roam" on my way to work and forget about the disappointment.

 

Remember the good times, folks.  And remember that while recording an album with Lou Reed may not have been a good idea, the band still has a substantially large library full of thrashy metallic goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment