Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My iPodding Habits

I am very particular with my iPod.


I don't mind repeating tracks, but I can't stand the idea of there being tracks I never get around to hearing. As a result I almost never do a random play. Sometimes I'll run a Genius playlist for consistency's sake, but for the most part everything is organized for optimal listening efficiency.

I pull my tracks from my computer's library. It's a robust library, and I'm always adding to it. Obviously it's not all going to fit on my 4 gig iPod. So I organize my library chronologically and, starting from the earliest year, fit as many whole years onto the iPod as possible.

On the iPod I then play the tracks alphabetically by song title. This prevents the monotony of hearing the same artist fifteen times in a row while also providing a little bit of musical diversity. It's like a controlled randomness. And if I stop the iPod it's easy enough to remember what song I left off on.

I only ever listen to my iPod in the car, and only on drives that are 15+ minutes long. It's just what I do. As a result it takes several months to go from one end of my iPod to the other. Often times if I hop in the car, push play, and find I'm midway through a song already, I'll back it up and play it from the beginning. I'll rarely outright skip a song. Each tune gets the attention it does (or does not) deserve.

Sometimes I'll get on a radio kick and not listen to the iPod for weeks. That always sets things back a bit.

I get from the mid-50's to the late-70's in one 4 gig clump of files because there wasn't a whole lot of music during that era. Also, the music that did exist tended to be very short in length.

Clear iPod, reload.

I'm currently listening to songs spanning from the late-70's to the early-90's. Despite my love for 80's music there's not actually a whole lot of 80's music represented in my library. I suppose I relegate my 80's listening to the radio.

Clear iPod, reload.

As I progress to the current year the spans will shorten. More music made. Longer songs. By the time I get to the 2000's I'll be filling up the iPod one year at a time.

It takes over a year to go through my entire library, and by that point I've already added a truckload of new songs. And we begin again.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hey, Niels Nielsen just added a ton of new tracks. They're actually old tracks, and I haven't actually taken the time to listen to them yet, but they're probably good by virtue of the fact that they're Niels Nielsen tunes.

http://nielsnielsen.net/site/2011/06/29/sounds-from-the-past/

No comments:

Post a Comment